We encourage farmers to use as much cover cropping as their crop systems allow.
Why Cover Crops?
Cover cropping is one of nature’s best ways to improve soil conditions and increase soil health and biological activity.
Cover crops have a number of benefits that include,
- Increasing water and air movement through soil
- Making soils more friable and easier to work
- Helping to reduce steel and diesel bills
- Helps to build soil carbon levels
- Helps to build soil organic matter and humus levels
- Builds the house for earthworms to flourish
- Some cover crops to fix atmosphere nitrogen and build it into soils
- Some cover crops help to release nutrients that are locked up in our soils.
Which cover crops should you use?
We have growers using OATS, Re, Vetch, Lucerne, Stubble turnips, Kale, Clovers etc, alone or in mixes to give different benefits to their soils.
Oats is one of the cheapest and easiest options to get started.
We have many customers who have been growing cover crops for 10 years or more. If you are interested, please feel free to contact us.